Sony laptops have a fan club of their own rivalling the Apple Mac
Sony laptop models include:
FXA | GRS | GRV
| GRX | GRZ | NV
| PictureBook™ | R505 SuperSlim
Pro™ | SRX | VX
Sony Vaio | VGN
Sony Vaio VGN
Models: VGN-SZ280P (Intel Core 2 Duo); VGN-FE770G; VGN-BX540; VGN-AX570G;
VGN-UX180P; VGN-AR190G; VGN-FJ180; VGN-A790 and VGN-SZ170P
This latest release in the Sony laptop VGN range, the VGN-FE770G
is top rated on PCWorld in the 'Most Popular' category. With cutting-edge
dual core performance and entertainment in a slim, lightweight design
the VGN-FE770G is also a star in the Sony camp.
- Processor: Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology
- Display 15.4 in. WXGA TFT Active Matrix
- Memory: 1 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)
- Drive: 120 GB Serial ATA, 5400 RPM
- Size & Weight; 14.41 in x 10.81 in .x 1.39 in. and weighing
in at 6.17 lb.
FXA Series - Home / Office Combo
Sony claims its laptops have an "all-in-one design" ,
meaning that all the components are in one product; no external
CD-ROMs or microphones.
- Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP processor 1600+ .
- Display: 14.1" XGA (1024x768) TFT display
- 256 MB SDRAM, expandable to 512MB
- 20 GB hard drive
- CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive • Internal removable 1.44 MB, 3.5"
USB floppy drive
- Size: 1.4"-1.9" X 12.8" X 10.5" (H x W x
D) • Weight: 6.7 lbs. (3,0 Kg) with one battery or 7.1 lbs.(3,22
Kg) with battery and floppy drive.
The Sony FXA laptops are ideal workplace, home office combos.
GRS Series - More Power
The Sony Vaio notebook GRS series of 4 models includes: Pentium®
4-M with WLAN (Wireless LAN), Pentium® 4-M without WLAN, PCG-GRS150
and GRS150 (CTO).
- Processor: Pentium® 4 1.8GHz-M processor or Celeron 1.7GHz.
- Display: 15.0" XGA (1024x768)
- Drive: 30 to 40 GB of hard drive space, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo
- RAM Options: 512MB or 256MB of RAM
- Weight & Size: 6.9lbs (3.13 Kg).
GRV - Desktop Replacement
There is only one model in the Sony GRV series; the PCG-GRV550.
This mobile computer exceeds the performance of most desktops
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz
- Display: 16.1 SXGA (1240x1024) high-resolution LCD display
- Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
- Drive: 30 GB Internal and removable CD-RW/DVD combo •
Optional external usb floppy disk drive •
- Size & Weight: 1.6-1.8" X 14" X 11.5" •
8.0 lbs (3.63 Kg) with battery only 8.5 lbs (3.85 Kg) with battery
+ removable CD-RW/DVD combo.
Sony Vaio GRX
Sony offers 4 models in this range: PCG-GRX670 | PCG-GRX690 | GRX600
(CTO) | GRX600.
More power and larger screen with hot-swappable multi-bay are features
enough, but the trump card is it's configurable optical drive.
- Processor: Pentium® 4 2.0GHz-M
- Display: 16.1" UXGA (1600x1200)
- Memory: 512 MB of RAM
- Drive: 60 GB DVD-RW/CD-RW
- Size & Weight: 8 lbs [3.63 kg]
Sony Vaio GRZ
Models: PCG-GRZ530 currently is the only GRZ Series model. Powerful
processing with a slightly larger than standard display.
Sony appears to have positioned this laptop series between the
desktop replacement GRV and a standard laptop. It offers little
more than a standard laptop, albeit generous in RAM.
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
- Display: 15.0" XGA (1024x768) TFT display
- Memory: 512 MB RAM
- Drive: 30 GB removable CD-RW/DVD combo drive
- Size & Weight: 6.9 lbs. (3.13 Kg) with just 1 battery, 7.5
lbs. (3.40 Kg) with battery + optical drive.
Sony Vaio NV
The Vaio NV series are affordable and impressive. The Sony NV laptop
computers have the ability to burn CDs as well as DVDs. Both the
DVD-RW / CD-RW drive and the 1.44 MB, 3.5" floppy drive are
- Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.0GHz-M, 1.8GHz-M or 1.7GHz-M
- Display: 15.0" SXGA+ (1400x1050) or 15.0" XGA (1024x768)
- Memory: 512 MB or 256 MB DDR SDRAM
- Drive: 60 GB, 40 GB or 30 GB hard drive
- Size & Weight:1.7”-2.1" X 13.3" X 10.9.
Sony Vaio PictureBook™
Small, mobile, a full of gadget features such as the built-in camera.
But discontinued, supposedly due to its size, which was perceived
by the market as being too small.
- Processor: Crusoe™ processor TM5800 867 MHz - increases
the batteries' life
- Display: 8.9" UW-SXGA (1280 x 600) TFT display
- Drive: 30 GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD external combo drive
- Memory: up to 384 MB SDRAM.
- Size & Weight: 1.2" x 9.9" x 6.0", weight:
2.20 lbs (1 Kg),
Sony Vaio R505 SuperSlim Pro™
Coupled with a docking station for light portabliity and desktop
stability. The R505 comes with CDRW/DVD combo drive and floppy drive.
- Display: 12.1" XGA LCD screen
- Processor: Pentium® III 1.20 GHz-M
- Memory: 256MB SDRAM or 512MB SDRAM
- Drive: 30 GB, 40 GB, or 60 GB hard drive
- Size & Weight: 1.16"-1.33" X 11.0" X 9.4"
at 4.37 lbs. (2 Kg) with battery or 6.75 lbs. (3.06 Kg) with the
Sony Vaio SRX
Another ultra light, thin Sony Vaio laptop computer. A notebook
PC without the mobility issues.
SRX Models available: PCG-SRX99, PCG-SRX992, PCG-SRX99P, PCG-SRX99P2,
PCG-SRX99K, PCG-SRX99K3, PCG-SRX99P4, PCG-SRX99P5
The size, long life battery and weight of the SRX are the features
that makes them stand out: 1.1"-1.3 X 10.2" X 7.7",
up 12 hours with double capacity batteries and as light as 2.7 lbs.
- Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® III processor 850MHz-M
- Display: 0.4 XGA (1024x768) TFT display
- Memory: 256MB or 384MB SDRAM
- Drive: 20 GB CD-RW/DVD combo drive (external) | 1.44 MB, 3.5"
USB floppy drive (optional and external)
Sony Vaio VX
Models: 4 models available.
The main charm of the Sony Vaio VX is the lightness, even with
the medium 14.1 XGA (1024x768) LCD screen and larger than usual
keyboard. Of course the weight is dependant upon the external drive
component being loaded / not loaded.
- Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® III 900MHz-M
- Memory: 512MB SDRAM memory
- Drive: 30GB CD-RW/DVD external combo drive | 1.44 MB, 3.5"
USB floppy drive
Laptop & Computing Updates